Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Old Cobbler

After heading back to my office from the Cobbler's Kiosk, I thought I should write about it soon. But i'm writing about it after ages. It has touched me quite a lot and that's why its time to pen it down.

I once bought fancy looking slip ons from a posh place in Bangalore. I loved it and I almost wore it everyday to office. I also got compliments for it. After a while it wasn't so new so I would run with those slip ons , wear it in the rain and basically rough handled it. It so happened that one of them got torn. I was like.... "damn... we pay so much and it doensn't even last long!!!" Thankfully there was a small cobbler kiosk near my office, actually right opposite to my office. There was a middle aged man and I gave him my torn slip on. While he was mending it I remembered my childhood days. Back then we visited the cobblers quite often as against the present times where we have too many shoes and discard the torn ones immediately.

But I had no other go. I had to get back to work and there was no shoe shop close by and had to get my shoe mended.This middle aged cobbler made a shabby fix and asked me for ten rupees.I was not so happy to give him ten for the job he did but anyway he didn't ask for a fortune, it was just ten rupees.I gave it to him and got back to work.

A week later the other slip on got torn in the same place. I was cursing these shoe makers for making delicate shoes and tagging them with high prices. Again the same solution. I walked to the same cobbler kiosk.

Now this time there was a very old cobbler.He looked very weak, was wearing torn clothes and his glasses were so big that I almost concluded that he was blind.I thought this old cobbler might be the middle aged cobbler's father! Since I was unhappy the previous time I just thought I would ask this old cobbler to stitch it a bit more nicely but then I looked at his innocent face and something stopped me at once!!!

He started mending my slip on slowly.While he did that I peeked inside his kiosk. Saw some photos of God and a big photo of a lady who was young and vibrant. Her photo had kumkum and garland which meant she was no more. I was thinking whether she was the cobbler's wife or daughter. Who ever she was, she was someone dear to the cobbler. I felt quite bad for him. Then he interrupted me saying he mended my slip on.

I just had a look at it. It was done so well, so really well that I was taken aback. The half blind, weak cobbler wearing torn clothes and having the grief of losing an important woman in his life mended my shoe so well. I thought for a moment that if I had instructed him before I would've been ashamed of myself.I would've hurt his feelings so much!! I gave him ten rupees staight away. Then he said its only five rupees and started digging his box for change. I looked at him and said I don't want the change, smiled at him, said thank you and left. He was confused. While I was walking back to the office I had a great urge to go back to him and give him more money like a charity but he seemed like a shy old cobbler. I was unsure about him accepting it. But by giving him  more than what he asked for made me so contented.

When I sat on my chair at office I felt the old cobbler has touched my life by showing his perseverence, simplicity and innocence. I had tears in my eyes and then I worked peacefully.

8 comments:

  1. A very nice post, touchy indeed! Its amazing how some people turn out to be eye-openers, really. Wish his living improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved it!!! KEEP BLOGGING! very touching:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its amazing that you are just like Chitu, loving and giving. I was thinking the blog is abt your fav shoe. If i was in your place, I will be more worried for my shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey well written ...i could actually imagine you in the scene :) somehow making ur self a character in writing adds a lot of personal touch and appeals to the people who know u well :) !!do write more often

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nicely written.. simple but effective.. somethings so small make huge differences in the way we think or see life.. this sure sounds like one of them...! keep blogging girl...!!

    ReplyDelete